ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] executive summary - proposal statements

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] executive summary - proposal statements
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:04:15 -0700

Wanted to amplify the point i made on the call today

Executive summaries can be very powerful things as many will just read that
portion of the document.

Given this,  I don't think the summaries we provide for each of our proposals
should include any words about the level of support or endorsement for our
proposals.

Kristina - I understand the response you made to this, but i just don't think
we'll get agreement on how support should be characterized.  I think we'll get
into protracted and unsolvable debate over adjectives like 'some', 'many',
'good', 'broad', 'strong'  etc.  Even a seemingly benign statement like 'there
was support from xyz' is going to be debated as support for one piece of a
proposal doesnt necessarily mean support for all pieces.

My strong preference is to leave such descriptions of support  out of the
proposal description.

RT