ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Executive Summary edit

  • To: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Executive Summary edit
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:09:04 -0700

The orphan TLD is actually the second-highest-rated "atom" from our poll, and
the second-least-opposed, and by a wide margin in both cases.   Taking these
two measures together, it is the atom that garnered the most agreement from the
group. In fact, it has more agreement from the group than any other single
atom, molecule or proposal.

If this does not constitute general agreement, then there is not a single thing
in the report that has general agreement.   Please remember that "I didn't
agree to that" is different than "the group doesn't agree on that."

My point was that the "public interest" measure is not the criteria for an
orphaned TLD.  An orphaned TLD is not orphaned because it's in the public
interest or not, but because registrars are not willing to offer it to the
public.

Antony