ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU Exception Text - Revised - DIR?

  • To: "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] SRSU Exception Text - Revised - DIR?
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 15:00:53 -0700

The BRU1 sub-group defined a Single Registrant Single User (SRSU) TLD as one
where the registry sets a policy where second level names can only be
registered to the registry (i.e.  the registry is the registrant for all
names).   Also, the use of those names in terms of website content,  email
control,  or any other application associated with the domains is exercised
only by the registry.  As a practical matter this means the registry entity is
not providing second level names to other parties (who would have control over
website content,  email use,  etc).

Under the BRU1 approach any registry may operate as an SRSU - it is not limited
to 'brand' TLDs.  BRU1 believe the current registry contract (Section 2.6
'Reserved Names') may already satisfy the needs of the SRSU model, however
BRU1 recommends an amendment to Section 2.6 such that the SRSU model is
explicitly addressed (the amendment would also allow registries to add to their
schedule of reserved names in a timely manner).   If Section 2.6 cannot be
amended BRU1 supports an exception that allows an SRSU registry to have: (1)
100% ownership/ control of a registrar in their TLD;  and (ii)  no obligation
to provide equal access to other registrars.

RT