ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: Astoundingly off-topic [gnso-vi-feb10] Revised motion for the Council

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Astoundingly off-topic [gnso-vi-feb10] Revised motion for the Council
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 16:30:29 -0400

Jeff,

Consider for a moment that the timelines of the Working Group have not been
unrealistic at all.  The PDP's charter includes a provision to not delay the
launch of new gTLDs, and in order to fulfill that, we had to move
expeditiously.  From where I sit, progress has been agonizingly slow, due in
part to punctilious observance of the rules.

As it turned out, a lot of sound and fury brought us to where it was clear to
many that we would end up -- with different camps with different ideas, needing
someone else (someone higher) to cut the knot and make a decision.  It is
risible to suggest that if we had had more time we would have reached a
different place.  In fact we could have arrived here in a much shorter time.

I do not see any disrespect for PDP processes, merely a desire to actually
respect the timelines that PDP processes are *supposed* to take, instead of
taking the usual route of jettisoning the written, agreed-to-by-the-GNSO
timelines in favor of the "own sweet time" deadlines PDPs have customarily
operated under.   And to respect the "don't delay new gTLDs" that the WG
actually agreed to, when it is unable to agree on much else at all.

I would take this group's effort, despite the fact that the result was not as
some might have hoped for, as a *positive* case study in how to react quickly
to an urgent issue while staying within the ICANN structure (as opposed, say,
to the IRT).

If anyone at ICANN thinks that we should be unable to get anything done in less
than six months (which is about what we had), then they have profoundly
misunderstood the nature and speed of the Internet.  To believe that long
timelines are "normal" is to condemn ICANN to irrelevance.  There needs to be
more of this rapid policy development, not less.

Antony