ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: Astoundingly off-topic [gnso-vi-feb10] Revised motion for the Council

  • To: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Astoundingly off-topic [gnso-vi-feb10] Revised motion for the Council
  • From: Sivasubramanian M <isolatedn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 02:17:25 +0530

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 2:00 AM, Antony Van Couvering <
avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> Consider for a moment that the timelines of the Working Group have not been
> unrealistic at all.  The PDP's charter includes a provision to not delay the
> launch of new gTLDs, and in order to fulfill that, we had to move
> expeditiously.  From where I sit, progress has been agonizingly slow, due in
> part to punctilious observance of the rules.
>
> As it turned out, a lot of sound and fury brought us to where it was clear
> to many that we would end up -- with different camps with different ideas,
> needing someone else (someone higher) to cut the knot and make a decision.
>  It is risible to suggest that if we had had more time we would have reached
> a different place.  In fact we could have arrived here in a much shorter
> time.
>
> I do not see any disrespect for PDP processes, merely a desire to actually
> respect the timelines that PDP processes are *supposed* to take, instead of
> taking the usual route of jettisoning the written, agreed-to-by-the-GNSO
> timelines in favor of the "own sweet time" deadlines PDPs have customarily
> operated under.   And to respect the "don't delay new gTLDs" that the WG
> actually agreed to, when it is unable to agree on much else at all.
>
> I would take this group's effort, despite the fact that the result was not
> as some might have hoped for, as a *positive* case study in how to react
> quickly to an urgent issue while staying within the ICANN structure (as
> opposed, say, to the IRT).
>
> If anyone at ICANN thinks that we should be unable to get anything done in
> less than six months (which is about what we had), then they have profoundly
> misunderstood the nature and speed of the Internet.  To believe that long
> timelines are "normal" is to condemn ICANN to irrelevance.
>

> There needs to be more of this rapid policy development, not less.

That requires a complete change of working methods of the policy development
process. Perhaps we have to move away from weekly phone calls, Interim draft
report, Interim report, six weeks of comments, revised Draft Interim Report,
Revised final Interim Report, Board deliberations on the continuity of the
PDP work group, further weekly meetings, draft final report, comments.......
routine to something like a Inter-Constituency PDP meetings on a topic of
focus for a day or two at a stretch (during an ICANN meeting for crucial
policy decisions and in an online
icann-collaborative-facebook-like-interface for lesser policy decisions,
where policy development, comments and summarization happen simultaneously,
not one after another.

Sivasubramanian M