ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Board resolution on Vertical Integration

  • To: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>, "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Board resolution on Vertical Integration
  • From: "Hammock, Statton" <shammock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 08:38:23 -0400

Following on the comments of Avri and Stephane, I would suggest that the WG
start looking seriously at the JN2 proposal for a consensus position.  It's
neither a "Free Trade" position nor a strict separation position but rather
contains important concepts that allow new players in the market, provides for
the allowance of greater than 15% interest and control in certain cases, and
allow for some flexibility going forward (e.g. after the first 18 months, ICANN
may amend the controlling interest provision with consensus approval). I think
of all the proposals discussed, this one comes closest to what the GAC has
suggested and it's also the one that has the most chance of getting rough
consensus.

Statton