ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Board resolution on Vertical Integration

  • To: "Hammock, Statton" <shammock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Board resolution on Vertical Integration
  • From: Volker Greimann <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 17:59:18 +0200

As previously indicated, while I do not like parts of it, it is a proposal I could live with.

Volker
Following on the comments of Avri and Stephane, I would suggest that the WG start looking
seriously at the JN2 proposal for a consensus position.  It's neither a "Free
Trade" position nor a strict separation position but rather contains important
concepts that allow new players in the market, provides for the allowance of greater than
15% interest and control in certain cases, and allow for some flexibility going forward
(e.g. after the first 18 months, ICANN may amend the controlling interest provision with
consensus approval). I think of all the proposals discussed, this one comes closest to
what the GAC has suggested and it's also the one that has the most chance of getting
rough consensus.

Statton