ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

RE: [gtld-council] Recommendation 20

  • To: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, <gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gtld-council] Recommendation 20
  • From: "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 10:38:38 -0400

Should a substantial objection from a single established institution be
sufficient to mandate a rejection?  For example, if the American Bankers
Association cites its substantial objection to an application for .bank
that is backed by all of the banking associations in the EU, must the
panel reject?  Under the proposed wording, there is substantial
opposition from a significant established institution representing a
sector or community for which the string is targeted.  Another example
would be the American Cancer Society opposing an application for
.cancer.  Must the panel reject regardless of all the other entities
lining up in support?  If so, wouldn't that put a registry applicant at
peril to every established trade association that wants a piece of the
pie and has veto power?  This is one reason why "may" may be preferable
to "will" in this case.  Alternatively, can we expand the phrase "a
significant established institution" to address this concern?

Thanks.

Jon