ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

Re: [gtld-council] Apology

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gtld-council] Apology
  • From: Mawaki Chango <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:00:12 -0700 (PDT)

Even before you explained further your thought and apologized, I
had assumed you may have been well meaning. The thing is we
ourselves don't necessary realize how far we come across
sometimes [Believe me, I know what I'm talking about ;-)] and
how obvious our assumptions may seem to others.

If this can help better understand, the direct context has its
importance: you started offering your opinion of the NCUC
statement (as being precisely an opinion statement rather than
impact statement,) then put forward that question as to how many
organizations were involved. Coming in this order, the latter
after the former, it makes a certain meaning more probable than
others. NCUC statement was the last to date, after many others.
I don't think none of them (not even the RyC's, as you
acknowledge it) included that information and nobody (not even
you) asked. So it was just too easy to understand your
question(s) as a challenge to another constituency's processes.

My purpose is not to further feed this discussion; I understand
this was not the intent, and your apology is well taken. More
broadly, it'd be good we consider making proposals for changes
in our processes not when facing specific cases, whether for
immediate effect or not [especially based on your personal
understanding of those processes, which other council members
may not share, so this sill need substantial discussion], but
rather ex-situ (if that makes sense in Latin,) meaning not in
reaction to any specific case otherwise we will always give the
impression that we are sngling out that case and the entities
involved (while everything seemed fine so far, based on the
absence of similar reaction before then.)

Regards,

Mawaki