ICANN ICANN Email List Archives


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gtld-council] PDP Dec 05: Follow-up to 23 June

  • To: Liz Williams <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gtld-council] PDP Dec 05: Follow-up to 23 June
  • From: Norbert Klein <nhklein@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 13:05:45 -0400

Liz Williams wrote:

Thanks a lot for the huge amount of work which went into yesterday's session preparation, and for the quick follow-up.

In follow-up discussions with other members of the implementation team, we thought it would be very beneficial if we could, during Thursday's meeting, stabilise the language in Recommendation 20.

From my notes as we were speaking, this is where I thought we got to.

"An application will [may?] be rejected if it is determined that there is substantial opposition to it from among established institutions of the economic sector, or cultural or language community [delete: to which it is targeted or which it is intended to support]."
The trick is, of course, that the "will" and the "may" have quite a lot of implications, for which I do not think we have already the solutions:

"will" - it will automatically happen (but somebody/some procedure will have decided it already. If the opposition was "substantial" enough to warrant such an automatic cut-off, or if it came from a sufficiently relevant source, is, of course, a different question.

"may" - the process may be cut off - but first somebody/some procedures will have to decide - and the applicant will have to wait for this.

It would be very helpful, so that we can conduct ongoing implementation plans, if this language could be agreed during Thursday afternoon's meeting.

Further thoughts about the criteria for measuring "substantial" and "established" would also be helpful
I think this will be, at the end, a "political" decision, where a designated group of people will have to decide and bear the consequences.

Recently the King of Thailand addresses a group of high court judges, before they had to decide whether or not to dissolve the two biggest political parties (the majority party was finally dissolved for voter fraud). I have never read any similarly emotional speech by the Thai King, where he appealed to the judges to be courageous to decide what has to be decided, though "whatever you decide, you will be criticized from both sides to have made the wrong decision."

Maybe the decision to accept or not to accept a new domain will - sometimes at least - have to be done facing a similar dilemma.

Norbert Klein
NCUC/GNSO Council member

If you want to know what is going on in Cambodia,
please visit us regularly - you can find something new every day:


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy