ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

Re: [gtld-council] Updated tables and next meeting timing

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gtld-council] Updated tables and next meeting timing
  • From: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:15:46 -0700

Hi Avri,

The NCUC proposal with respect to Rec. #20 is to narrow it to technical or LEGAL objections. So valid legal claims opposing a string may proceed without over-burdening the decision making process and opening up subjective determinations or determinations that are contrary to law. Objections based on laws (such as trademark, unfair competition, misrepresentation, fraud, etc.) would still be within the scope of reasons for objections, but ones entirely unfounded on legal rights would not clog up the process and inhibit innovation.

We are also concerned that established institutions are given priority to own generic words over start-up innovators who do not misrepresent themselves to the public.

Thanks,
Robin

Avri Doria wrote:

Hi,

I have updated the tables based on my understand from the meetings. Please send any comment, questions, corrections to the list.

Recommendation status:

I have added the Principles (including the new principle G) and the Implementation Guidelines for ease of reference.

Pending Actions List:

Next Meeting of New gTLD Committee

Scheduled for Friday 13 July at 1200 UTC

(There had been some discussion of moving 1-2 hours later, but this was never resolved. The timing needs to balance the earliness for California and the lateness for Asia/Pacific. Unless there is list agreement to move it, it will be at 1200 utc)

Small discussion groups for Rec 6 and Rec 20:

Liz will be coordinating these efforts. Please run any solutions that are approaching a level of consensus in the discussion group by the committee list, certainly no later then 12 July.

thanks
a.