ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[idn-discuss]

Re: [idn-discuss] LA 2007

  • To: Basanta shrestha <basanta.shrestha@xxxxxxxxx>, Shahram Soboutipour <ceo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [idn-discuss] LA 2007
  • From: John C Klensin <john+icann@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 04:58:57 -0400

--On Sunday, October 07, 2007 12:13 PM +0545 Basanta shrestha <basanta.shrestha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear Shahram,
Thanks for the info.I had sent an email to idirect.com and
they told me the same. But for the time being I just want to
try second level IDN. for example http://www.èæ.jp. Where
did these guys register from ? I checked the
domainwhitepages.com but couldn't track the registrar.

Hi.

At the second level, each TLD registry makes its own decisions as to whether to support/register IDNs and, if so what types of IDNs to permit. For example, for ccTLDs, restrictions to particular scripts, or names in particular languages, are common. As a handy example, since you used a registration in .JP, I don't believe one can register a string of Tamil characters in that domain.

I believe that gTLDs are still expected to get permission from ICANN before opening up registrations and there are some other requirements and recommendations with which registries are asked (or required) to comply, but, basically, it is a per-TLD registry decision.

So you need to figure out which TLD you want to register in, determine from the registry (or from a registrar that deals with them frequently) whether they are willing to accept IDNs and what restrictions, if any, they apply to names they are registering, and then do the registration. If whatever ccTLDs you ordinarily work with are not yet accepting IDN registrations, several of the gTLDs are now accepting IDN registrations in at least some scripts.

    regards and best wishes,
      john