ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc-voice]

Re: [npoc-voice] Observations on the two governance issues facing ICANN

  • To: Sam Lanfranco <Lanfran@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [npoc-voice] Observations on the two governance issues facing ICANN
  • From: Poncelet Ileleji <pileleji@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 16:47:02 +0000

Hello Sam,

Your observations are very welcomed and thoughtful, I belief that ICANN and
ITU can have a symbiotic relationship to work together in achieving a good
balance and a form of inclusiveness for all. within a global context

I say this because when you look at the overall IGF structure a lot of the
key players have a role and constituency to push their agendas within ICANN
and that especially applies to us in NPOC.

In terms of ITU I think from my observation at the recently WCIT in Dubai
where a lot of civil society groups, NGO's plunged themselves within
country delegations and where allowed to do so by those countries notably
especially in European countries, the USA and some African countries like
the Gambia, Kenya, Benin and Nigeria shows there is a way forward in
getting ITU to see the global picture and it was not surprising the ITU
president met with Civil Society to hear what they had to say and member
states noted the full presence of cvivil society at the forum.

ITU comprises  member states who  have their own concerns within the global
structure of overall "Internet Governance" its difficult to apply what
applies in "Rome" to say like the "Gambia", because in as much governance
of the Internet brings about a lot of issues at a global level, we have to
accept that some countries are naturally conservative in certain aspects
and will remain so for the foreseeable future based on those countries
cultural orientation and history.

For example with the Arab spring, I have a good Tunisian friend a Muslim he
runs a hotel and pub within the touristic area of Tunis, under Ben Ali he
had liberty and his Business flourished, however with the Arab Spring, now
Tunisia is lead by a mainly Islamic party, in  his Hotel and Pub, "Beer and
Wine bottles"  have been broken and destroyed more often in fact thrice
during the Christmas season, because some  few radicals belief now as a
Muslim he should not sell Alcohol the funny thing these same same radicals
do not target the European owned businesses.  As I told my friend yes Ben
Ali was bad for the majority of Tunisians. but also it shows that majority
of the Tunisians who voted the Islamist party to government are
conservative and with time they will understand that his business is a
business irrespective of his religion and real liberty means a true
understanding and respect of others views and opinions and in some
societies this have been non existent and as such it will take time to be
entrenched in those societies because only few really knew in those
societies.  Due to the fact that  certain freedoms in parts of the world
that freedom of expression  was unknown has now  come at a price and a lot
of ignorance and illiteracy still exist in those societies its important to
note that it will  take time to change win totally minds and hearts for
those who really did not know the difference between "A and B" before and
that applies too to the Internet in terms of governance.

Some  school of thought expect certain countries to change overnight ,
forgetting even in the United States to achieve civil liberties for all was
really a long long  struggle, and also if you look at the average age of
independent states in developing countries none is yet 100 years as an
Independent nation, So personally to me this is the main issue, a lot of
great successes are expected at times forgetting that certain nations are
still in "paranoid mode" because their mode of governance seem outdated as
of today, however this will change through a  generational process when
these nations start been ruled by the "digital natives" of their respective
countries, that is those born in the Internet era  say early  1990's on
wards.

I decided to mention this when you look at for instance what certain
African countries like Algeria where fighting for in terms of security at
the WCIT , its based on their history, remembering that this same Algerian
government that certain nations felt their request was outrageous kept
silent when the Algerian government  refused to allow an Islamist party in
the late 90's to govern the country when that party won legitimately an
election, because the Algerian regime felt the status quo will change, and
that fear exist today in a lot of closed "Nations" the Arab spring has
shown democracy is a process that builds up step by step and that's what
the Egyptian government are realizing today, so this will certainly apply
in the overall governance structure of the Internet.

Hence in conclusion, I belief that the processes that ICANN has started
today will follow a process that will stand the test of time and make
member states clamoring for  ITU to play a key role in governance of the
Internet to realise that in all we do  ICANN has its key roles to play and
so does the ITU.  To bridge certain divides, its the biggest challenge of
ICANN that's why constituencies like NPOC have to reach out more to those
in developing countries in Africa, Asia, the middle east etc so that does
who do not know are advocated and learn to  know better.  This in turn will
make their governments more active in ICANN GAC and other constituencies
that are relevant towards the overall Internet Ecosystem of their
respective countries.  The fact that member states see ITU forums like WCIT
of great importance based on the number of years ITU has existed shows
ICANN has a lot to do in terms of reaching out and this is the challenge of
a constituency  like ours to help support this process.in making it
achieveable.  Its a long road, but we should realize "Rome" was not built
in a day, and the more time we spend to agree and disagree and place
processes in place for all to feel comfortable the better the chances of a
true multi stake holder approach to the governance of the Internet
remembering also that we have to respect the wishes of nations sovereignty
which a lot of nations not by design but history have to be allowed to
evolve into the norm of today in terms of overall governance in general.

Again Sam, thanks for your thoughtful observations.

Have a great weekend all.

Peace

Poncelet

--
Poncelet O. Ileleji MBCS
Coordinator
The Gambia YMCAs Computer Training Centre & Digital Studio
MDI Road Kanifing South
P. O. Box 421 Banjul
The Gambia, West Africa
Tel: (220) 4370240