ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc-voice]

Re: [npoc-voice] Sessions description draft for Beijing

  • To: "Poncelet Ileleji" <pileleji@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [npoc-voice] Sessions description draft for Beijing
  • From: mlemineur@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 16:42:56 -0500

Dear Poncelet and all,

I have improved the description of our youth session and incorporated
Poncelet´s  suggestion to mention the IGF. I am in the process of
uploading it to the wiki hopefully I can make it for today if not, it will
be uploaded before our conference call tomorrow.

Also, I think we should be careful on how we focus the issue of the
involvement of youth and be aware from the very beginning that we do not
want to promote only a "protection agenda" since there is a tendency from
adults to ONLY think of youth and the dangers of the Internet and
therefore only speak of how they should be protected. I have been involved
with this part for many years now and I acknowlegde that this can not be
left aside. Awareness-raising activities for promoting self-protection is
indispensible. Nervertheless, I have also seen that it is key to empower
youth as subjects of rights and not just limit our vision to promote a
perception of youth as passive recipients of the protection strategies we
adults design and implement. This is trap easy to fall in.

In summary, personlly I favor an agenda where youth tells what they can do
instead of focusing solely on listing what they should be protected from.

I´d love to hear other´s  thoughts on this...

Thanks

Best,

Marie-laure

Hello ML,