ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Please participate - Poll on updated recommendations

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Please participate - Poll on updated recommendations
  • From: Jon Nevett <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 16:05:15 -0400

Richard:

Changing the scope of the existing Community Objection standard was, indeed, my
concern.

Some folks may also have been concerned that 2.2 refers to national law versus
international law.  I understand the Recommendation 6 objections must be based
on International law, but this recommendation only relates to Community
objections.  Nations should be eligible as communities, but there shouldn't be
new standards of community objections based on this point.

I agree with Bertrand, as I think he mentioned on the last call, that certain
concerns based on national law fit within the existing Community objection
framework.  Therefore, I would support Recommendation 2.2. with the following
additions:

>> “Recommendation 2.2: If individual governments have objections based on
>> contradiction with specific national laws, such objections MAY be submitted
>> through the Community Objections procedure OUTLINED IN DAGv4.”

I do not support a recommendation that we undo all of the work on the scope of
community objections that already appears in DAGv4.

Thanks.

Jon