ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Comments on 4.2 and 5.4

  • To: Bertrand de La Chapelle <bdelachapelle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Comments on 4.2 and 5.4
  • From: Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:00:25 +0200

On 21/09/2010 00:33, Bertrand de La Chapelle wrote :
> On 5.4 : At least one participant in the working group highlighted
> that a simple majority in the Board should not be sufficient to
> approve a string if the recommendation of the expert panel is that the
> string is contrary to principles of International law. A super
> majority should be required.

If the recommendation of the expert panel is that the string is contrary
to principles of international law, I gather that the experts will
recommend a rejection of the string, in which case would 5.1 apply. (and
I know this only has weak support)
I think this might be a non-issue. Through its bylaws, the Board is
bound to act lawfully. Would it not be unlawful for it to allow a string
that it contrary to principles of international law?
Warm regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD