ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] Comments on 4.2 and 5.4

  • To: Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl@xxxxxxx>, Bertrand de La Chapelle <bdelachapelle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] Comments on 4.2 and 5.4
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 05:53:02 -0400

We are still getting confused between an outsourced dispute resolution service
and a panel experts giving the board advice to help the board make a decision.

There is a radical difference between the two. An expert panel that is expected
to tell the board "yes" or "no" on whether to uphold an objection would be
empowered to make life or death decisions regarding TLD applications. It would
be in effect, an international court. The board would defer to its expertise
and a few people on this WG actually believe that a supermajority should be
required to overrule it.

We don't want to go there.

The board is supposed to be the one making the decision - we have consensus on
that.

What I don't want to see happen is us confusing the board, and everyone else,
by telling an expert advisory panel to - de facto - make a binding decision. As
Evan suggests, if that happens the composition of the panel becomes very
political and very important, and we have shifted very important forms of
global law making into the hands of a completely unaccountable group (once
again).

--MM