ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG - just a thought...

  • To: Anthony Harris <harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG - just a thought...
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 15:33:29 +0000

On 3 May 2010, at 16:19, Anthony Harris wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Thanks for your comments and questions.
>
> I would refer to the attached public comment that I
> sent to ICANN shortly after DAG 1 was presented
> to the ICANN community.
>
> You may note that shortly after, the "Annual Registry
> Fee" minimum charge was reduced from U$S 75.000,
> to U$S 25.000.
>
> I remain unconvinced that the application fee is either
> reasonable or justifiable as it stands today.

Agreed. I'm sure ICANN can justify it, but you can justify most things if you
put your mind to it ..

> With regards to your two questions, IMHO the answer
> could be a mixture of both. I would suggest the
> following might be one possible approach:
>
>   Non-profit entities with at least 2 year status of registration
>   in one country at minimum, be awarded a reduction of the
>   application fee, say for example - 30%. If the application
>   during evaluation process becomes entangled, i.e. is
>   contested and results in a conflictive situation, then the
>   discounted amount could be demanded from the applicant,
>   to compensate for the costs that then ensue.

Recognition might be a better word then "registration"

In Ireland at least charities (not for profits) don't actually "register" per
se. They are recognised by our Tax office and given a charity number. If they
don't have the charity number then they're not recognised or considered official

> Whereas I support the enthusiasm expressed on the list for
> establishing a "Foundation" to support underprivileged
> applicants, if the funds this entity will have in trust are to
> be provided from "surplus" income resulting from the
> round of applications, then of course implicitly those
> who would have access to these funds, and be thus
> assisted in stepping up to the new gTLD application
> window, would have to wait for the next round. Having
> seen the way the current round was successfully
> "lobbied" into the receding future, and is already
> about two years off original estimated initiation
> dates, this might not be an equitable solution for
> the parties envisaged.

Agreed.

While it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a solution for future applicant rounds
etc., we need to focus on the current round.

> I am sure other participants of this list must have
> much better ideas, and remain expectant to
> support them as they emerge.
>
> Tony

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions