ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] My comments on the draft final report

  • To: carlos aguirre <carlosaguirre62@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] My comments on the draft final report
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 12:52:47 -0400

Carlos,

This just addresses scripts and strings, to which you commented "I think this need to be better explained , because is a little complicated to understand. at least for me."

Assume an application for "africa", and ignore the GAC regional name issue.

Assume the application is "qualified".

The applicant offers the claim that at least one string in each of two scripts, Latin and Arabic, is necessary.

Which outcome is preferable?

(a) the Arabic script string is delegated to registry operator AS-RegOp, and the Latin script string is delegated to a distinct registry operator LS-RegOp, or (b) both Arabic script string and the Latin script string are delegated to a single registry operator AS+LS-RegOp.

Assume an application for "reproductive rights" by an organization domiciled in India.

Assume the application is "qualified".

There are 11 scripts used by government in India, and 22 languages, with some scripts and some languages used in neighboring states.

What is the cost to the applicant to deliver registry services?

If there is a substantial cost, then applicants will have to choose what scripts, and languages, and the associated users, to abandon, and if their decisions are made by rational economic analysis, will eliminate lesser taught and minority languages from their service profile.

I hope these two examples clarify why linguistic diversity is an element of need.

Eric