ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Board resolution during retreat regarding Applicant Support

  • To: Tijani BEN JEMAA <tijani.benjemaa@xxxxxxxx>, Elaine Pruis <elaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Board resolution during retreat regarding Applicant Support
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 08:03:02 -0400

Hi Tijani, Hi Elaine

Thank you very much for the thanks. Just doing my job.

I would like to point out that I do not think Elaine was specifically pointing
the finger at the co-chairs. Or at this co-chair. I was.

I believe similar to you that when a WG succeeds it is the whole group that has
succeeded.  But I believe that when a WG fails, it is often the fault of its
chair or co-chairs for not having organized or shepherded the work properly or
for not having worked sufficiently diligently and continuously.  When I look at
what got done in MaPO in a much shorter time, I wonder about this groups
co-chairs and their performance.  Of course their work got ignored as well.

In any case, whenever a group perceives a failure in itself it should look at
the chair or co-chairs and decide whether it would not be better off with
others in the role - that is always the way in democratic institutions.  I.e. I
believe in throwing the bums out if they can't do the job - even when I might
be the bum.

I am not suggesting that you throw Evan and I out, and I am not suggesting that
you all tell us you don't want  to - I am neither fishing for compliments or
insults.  What I am saying is that if the group truly believes that the Board's
response is due to the group's failure and the group wants to make another push
for success, it also make sense to make sure that you have the right co-chairs.

None of this is Elaine's doing.

a.