ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] New JAS WG members - welcome!

  • To: Alex Gakuru <gakuru@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] New JAS WG members - welcome!
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:21:58 -0700

Hi Alex,

I think we're agreeing with each other, but let me make sure.  I'm saying these
things:

1.      The $185K Evaluation Fee was determined separate from anyone's ability
to pay.  It is a cost recovery estimate based on the 100+ processes the
community asked to be included in the AG.

2.      It is a US-based costing as that is where most of ICANN's costs are

3.      If the evaluation process proceeds perfectly as planned -- everything
works and there are 500 applications (note:  500 applications not 500 strings)
--- ICANN may eventually have a surplus from the Evaluation Fee (due to the
$60K contingency).  If there are fewer applications, or evaluation processes
need to be adjusted, they may not have a surplus

4.      As more processes are built into the AG costs per applicant may go up
(e.g. another Economic Study would add more cost)

5.      The GAC is not asking for a reduction in any of the 100+ AG processes
or requirements -- they're asking for a discounted fee for certain, needy
applicants

6.      We support such a discount - but we have to work out the important
details

Are those statements we can reasonably agree on?

Best

Richard