ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] New JAS WG members - welcome!

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] New JAS WG members - welcome!
  • From: Mike Silber <silber.mike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 23:39:01 +0200

Richard

A useful summary.

I would make one change for an area that is currently unclear:

On 2011/03/25 10:21 PM, Richard Tindal wrote:
> 5.      The GAC is not asking for a reduction in any of the 100+ AG
> processes or requirements -- they're asking for a discounted fee for
> certain, needy applicants
>
> 6.      We support such a discount - but we have to work out the
> important details

As I read the GAC documents, it is unclear to me if it is needy
applicants who require assistance, or deserving applicants or both?

By this I mean that it is not only the identity of the applicant that is
important, but also the string and the purpose for which it will be
used. So a qualifyingly needy applicant should (IMO at least) NOT get
support for .GENERIC which s/he/they intend selling for commercial
purposes, but should get support for .LANGUAGE / .COMMUNITY / .NON-ASCII
SCRIPT provided on a not for profit basis (in the sense that many
countries use such term - namely that a profit can be made but it must
be distributed for good purposes and not to members / shareholders).
Similarly, a wealthy applicant for .LANGUAGE etc should not qualify.

So I am proposing a 3-fold test:

1 the applicant's need
2 the string
3 the purpose of registration.