ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Additional Criteria "Indigenous Peoples"

  • To: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Additional Criteria "Indigenous Peoples"
  • From: Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 23:38:55 +0200

On 26/04/2011 22:52, Alan Greenberg wrote :
> Given how ICANN normally addresses such issues, a suitably qualified
> external panel would be the only way to go (in my mind).  That will
> separate the Board and staff from making the decisions. Sadly, it will
> not separate the need to set the criteria on which the decisions are
> made, nor from criticism by those who do not like the decisions, but
> perhaps that it just life.

How about a multi-stakeholder panel comprising members of several SOs/ACs?

My criticism of detailing criteria during the call today stems from my
feeling that if we try to define every type of criteria which an
applicant would need to satisfy and we define a threshold for each of
those criteria, we reduce the panel's subjective evaluation of an
applicant. This would be great if we were dealing with a production
system. But in a system which could be played voluntarily, this opens
the door to having well defined rules which potential players will abide
by, whilst staying out of parameter in rules which were not defined. I
would therefore recommend that we list all of the possible criteria
which we think are important, group them under separate headings
according to similarity and then define them as parameters which the
multi-stakeholder panel would need to take into account when making
their subjective decisions.

Kind regards,

Olivier

--