ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] ALAC statement on the GAC scorecard

  • To: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] ALAC statement on the GAC scorecard
  • From: Alain Berranger <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 11:58:36 -0400

Hi Eric,

Thank you so much for this detailed briefing... it will take me some time to
become familiar with it and your point of view.

What I find interesting with Foundations in general is how their endowment
capital was put together and the motivations for doing so (fiscal before
philanthropic?). I suspect that, in general (not seen research on it
though!), monopolistic super-profits are often, if not always, at the origin
of many of these family fortunes. Industrial revolution fortunes on the US
East Coast and now IT revolution and digital revolution fortunes on the US
West Coast all have their origins in incredible profit making!!! ...good
ideas acted upon smartly create huge profits!

Certainly ICANN, does not fit that pattern.... if only because it is a
not-for-profit multi-stakeholder organization... (Bill Clinton's central
argument in his SF speech). In any case, I need to become familiar with the
history of ICANN... I suspect, like the UN, if ICANN did not exist, it would
have to be re-invented (the Ted Turner argument when he gave $1 billion to
start the UN Foundation). The alternative of a government-controled only
internet, for me, is a kafkaesque nightmare scenario!!!!

Again, thanks for participating in my ICANN education!!!!

Alain

--
Alain Berranger, B.Eng, MBA
Executive-in-residence, Schulich School of Business, www.schulich.yorku.ca