ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] ALAC statement on the GAC scorecard

  • To: Alain Berranger <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] ALAC statement on the GAC scorecard
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 12:45:00 -0400

The alternative of a government-controled only internet, for me, is a
kafkaesque nightmare scenario!!!!

The SRI management period, both during the hostfile, and the subsequent zonefile publication periods, was characterized by domain names at no cost to the user, no infringement liability to third parties, no use of domain names as mis-representation of content for the systemic capture of search terms and the deliver of advertising inventories, and utterly accurate WHOIS data.

A counter-example is the ISI/IANA managment period of the .US zone, which allowed six individuals to acquire 40% of the US metro media market at no cost, with no notice to the affected municipalities, and no means for re-allocation to municipalities (other than private purchase).

Obviously, I don't share your view that public financing of infrastructure, now captured by individual persons benefiting from "privatization", and public control of a public resource, currently managed by a private individual, but not the personal property of that individual, is necessarily a "nightmare".

I suggest that venues other than this working mailing list are more appropriate for expressions of philosophical preference for more, or less, "government-control".

Cheers,
Eric