ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Capturing feedback from today's face-to-face

  • To: soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Capturing feedback from today's face-to-face
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 14:30:01 -0400

Hi,

As I mentioned to various people, and said to Mohamed directly, I think the
problem of helping to create new Accredited Registrars in developing economies
is a critical issue and something someone, perhaps this group or perhaps an
ALAC only group, should work on.

But, I also think that helping people get applications funded and in by Jan 12
2012 is a higher priority.   We have all of 2012 to work on the Creating
Accredited Registrars for Developing Economies (CARDE) issue.  I will certainly
volunteer to work on such a project.  At this point though we need to focus on
finishing the work we already have in front of us.

I agree with Elaine that using the funds that were provided as a seed
contribution for a greater fund to establish Registries to establish Registrars
instead, would be problematic.
One note, though, ccTLDs can't really be the solution for CARDE unless they are
willing to become accredited, though they can certainly be of great assistance
in building the capacity for local groups, including new gTLD applicants, to
become accredited registrars.

a.