ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG Consensus Indicators - Request for Action

  • To: Eric Brunner-Williams <eric.brunner.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] JAS WG Consensus Indicators - Request for Action
  • From: Andrew Mack <amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 22:58:00 -0400

Eric, Carlton and WG,

Here are my two cents...

1) To what I took from Carlton's first email, I think we've agreed that we
do want to support JAS-appropriate IDN applicants -- though this class of
potential applicant, while deserving, wouldn't take precedence per se over
non-IDN JAS-appropriate applicants.

2) We've also established that there are many instances where communities --
or potentially those that wish to serve them -- would in order to truly
accomplish their goals need to have the ability to offer more than one
script to fully do so.  (Eric's examples of Native North American groups,
diverse Indian scripts, users of Arabic and English or French scripts have
all been discussed).

3) I recognize and applaud the work of the group that held discussions with
ALAC in Singapore, but still am concerned that even at $47k we are in effect
over-taxing the multi-script applicant, since the marginal cost of adding
the additional IDN is likely to be less than $47k. I also still wonder if it
is not possible to encourage both lower cost and greater build-out in
multi-script communities by packaging these applications together.  The
Indian examples I think are significant and wonder if the precedent we set
with the proposed special request of to the Board arrangement will work in
the end.

I know there are many WG members that are concerned about gaming, and I get
that and think we should work on it directly as with any other part of our
recommendations where we want to avoid gaming.  Still, so far the most
compelling argument against putting forward combined applications is the one
I heard in Singapore -- that the GNSO won't buy it.  Perhaps that's true,
but as with our other recommendations (such as price reductions), we really
don't know.

Whatever we decide in the end as a group, I do feel that our language should
reflect the preference for letting the applicants speak for themselves and
request the kind of application they want.

Look forward to discussing this and the other issues tomorrow,
Andrew

--
*
                                                       *

***Andrew A. Mack
**Principal
*AMGlobal Consulting

+1-202-642-6429  amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx
2001 Massachusetts Avenue, NW  First Floor
Washington, DC 20036
www.amglobal.com