ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from Joint SO/AC WG on New gTLD Applicant Support

  • To: "'JAS'" <soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Adobe Connect - Chat Transcript from Joint SO/AC WG on New gTLD Applicant Support
  • From: Karla Valente <karla.valente@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 07:02:58 -0700

  Karla Valente:Welcome all to the JAS WG August 25 Meeting. Please see agenda
and key dates to remembers on the left agenda box.
  baudouin schombe:hello everyone
  Cintra Sooknanan:hello
  Carlton Samuels:Hi everyone.  Happy to have you all here..
  Dave Kissoondoyal:Hello Carlton, Hi all
  Cintra Sooknanan:Hi
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Hello all
  Carlton Samuels:https://community.icann.org/display/jaswg/Candidate+Text
  Gisella Gruber-White:Reminder *6 to mute and *6 again to unmute
  Gisella Gruber-White:PLEASE state your names for transcript purposes
  Gisella Gruber-White:Dave Kissoondoyal has joined the call
  Karla Valente:text also on the notes above
  CLO:Risk minimisation is best we can do  IMO
  Cintra Sooknanan:agree, cannot cater for all possiblities or build in all at
this point
  CLO:and we recommend  REVIEW  and React  to risks  that become actuality
  CLO:YUP  agree 110+++ %  with Alan and Avri
  Eric Brunner-Williams:re: gaming. we have discussed in the past the cost
imposed upon applicants for intentional misrepresentation of "need" or
"utility".
  Alan Greenberg:I have not visualized this panel as being volunteers. It is an
outsourced function.
  Alan Greenberg:Once we ask for "community" participation, we are obliged to
include those vested interests which we do not want involved.
  Karla Valente:if we have a community panel, what terms of reference for the
selection of this panel do you recommend to be used?
  Eric Brunner-Williams:if the utility (to use econo-speak) of gaming is
acquisition of assets (fungible, e.g., cash equivalent, non-fungible, e.g.,
consulting or hosting) then loss of assets, and the benefit of the assets is
necessary, and perhaps sufficient, to reduce the utility.
  Eric Brunner-Williams:@alan has identified a risk of "community" involvement.
the gnso has been specific that it has chartered only donor-to-applicant forms
of support, so it is possible, even likely, that "community" participation will
invite a determinative participation by persons opposed to a separate
institutional "fund" and its function.
  Karla Valente:@Alan: could you elaborate on the outsourced function? Is this
an RFP like process to select? what kind of expertize we are looking for?
  Cintra Sooknanan:I am disconnected
  Karla Valente:@ cintra. do you need to be called?
  Carlton Samuels:@Cointra: I will keep you in line
  Cintra Sooknanan:yes please
  Cintra Sooknanan:will raise my comment when I am back on
  Karla Valente:ok
  Eric Brunner-Williams:and the aso has not participated. so "community" is
problematic, and presents the risk of repurposing the project to the agendas of
others.
  Cintra Sooknanan:thanks Carlton
  Cintra Sooknanan:'I am back on the call
  Carlton Samuels:@Rafik: So sorry, I was scrolled out of your line
  Carlton Samuels:You're next!
  Rafik:@carlton no problem :)
  Karla Valente:fellowship program is volunteer as well
  Carlton Samuels:aaah, nice example, Karla
  Eric Brunner-Williams:unfortunately, icann may outsource this, like the
application evaluation process, to some brain-dead entity like kpmg
(responsible for creating the most expensive, least efficient "application
independent" process, and creating all the bruhaha about "bundling")
  Alan Greenberg:I can address question Cintra asked about who specifies what
docs are presented.
  Karla Valente:@cintra: staff can use help from WG to identify what documents
and information from applicants is needed. This should be in an intructions
manual, like the guidebook.
  Karla Valente:we could use part of the guidebook, like the financial info
  Cintra Sooknanan:Thanks for the clarification Karla and Avri
  Karla Valente:if we have community members, is this WG going to provide
guidelines for the selection of the members?
  Eric Brunner-Williams:re: documents. we have two interests, first, in the
representation of need, second, in the disclosure of ownership structure. the
existing dag only has the second interest.
  avri:Thanks for the input.  Note, I have added some other documents to the
canddiate docs that I had put in the subgroup 3 area.  I forgot that I had
written the.  I have to run now.
  Eric Brunner-Williams:i'm listening
  Andrew Mack:I need to go for another call.  Thank you everyone.
  avri:please add any comments to the docs themselves and I will check later.
  avri:bye for now.
  Eric Brunner-Williams:i seem to be muted
  Eric Brunner-Williams:i can hear carlton
  Eric Brunner-Williams:muting seems to be a one-way operation.
  CLO:Perhaps  oporator  can unmute Eric
  Karla Valente:@eric: I have asked operator to unmute you
  Eric Brunner-Williams:thanks karla/clo
  Karla Valente:we can prepare a list of terms of reference for WG feedback
  Eric Brunner-Williams:muting
  Karla Valente:@eric: do you need to be unmuted again?
  Eric Brunner-Williams:no. i muted.
  Karla Valente:see elaine's text above on the note
  Karla Valente:quick update: we will ahve Seth helping with the Final report
draft. We will use the same structure as the first milestone report, including
the addenda.
  Cintra Sooknanan:'I will put in a comment to such effect
  Cintra Sooknanan:we can also request pro bono legal advice
  Cintra Sooknanan:if required
  Eric Brunner-Williams:@cintra: good.
  Cintra Sooknanan::( I am disconnected again, Karla could you please dial out
to me?
  Eric Brunner-Williams:@alan, work on what? so far i've not heard what it is
the co-chair or you are discussing as a topic
  Cintra Sooknanan:rejoined thanks
  Carlton Samuels:@Eric: It was posted to the list
  Eric Brunner-Williams:ah, finally, the context is alan's email.
  Eric Brunner-Williams:forming complete sentences would help, "the criteria"
without "the what", e.g., "the criteria for X ..." would help.
  CLO:@ Eric  I suspect a nimber of us are already  *at / heading to mentally*
at least  to our next Meeting  top of the hour  Monthly ALAC Meeting starts
  Eric Brunner-Williams:@tijani: does this danger change if the cost of
providing an asset to a non-qualified applicant is recovered later (the point
of my prior comment about the utility to gamers)?
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:indeed Alan
  CLO:Signing off to be called onto the ALAC Meeting now  Bye
  Alan Greenberg:leaving call now for ALAC meeting.
  Dev Anand Teelucksingh:Take care all, bye
  Dave Kissoondoyal:Me too,, thanks and bye