ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Consistency - and Clarification - of Terminology for Final Report

  • To: Carlton Samuels <carlton.samuels@xxxxxxxxx>, "SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>, "Ntfy-soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <Ntfy-soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Consistency - and Clarification - of Terminology for Final Report
  • From: Krista Papac <Krista.Papac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 07:25:40 +1000

Carlton and all,
I've commented inline below.

Krista Papac
Chief Strategy Officer
AusRegistry Group Pty Ltd
Email: krista.papac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:krista.papac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Web: www.ausregistry.com

From: owner-soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Carlton Samuels
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:12 AM
To: SOAC-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx; Ntfy-soac-newgtldapsup-wg@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: Glen de Saint Géry; Karla Valente; Gisella Gruber-White
Subject: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Consistency - and Clarification - of
Terminology for Final Report

Dear All:
The preparation for the Final Report is in gear and so we create a product that
easily communicate the objectives of this initiative,  Staff is monitoring
terms in the Report for consistency in usage.

The following questions are for your advice and consent:

*  Name of the program being proposed. Is it Support Development Program
Evaluation Process?

K.Papac>> I agree with Evan, a shorter program name is better. However, I
suggest Applicant Support Program for the name of the program itself, and
Support Evaluation Process for the process of evaluating those requesting
support.

*  Name of the foundation that is to hold the $2M or other donation

K.Papac>> I really have no idea....

*  Name for the applicant asking for support. Do we still want to call it
applicant? Is this confusing with the New gTLD Program? We could consider
alternatives, such as, New gTLD program Support Candidates or something to that
effect.

K.Papac>> I find it confusing to call applicants asking for support applicant
because applicant is what all companies applying to the new gTLD Program are
called. I agree with the terms suggested by Evan -  "Support-Requested
Applicant" for those in the queue and "Support-Qualified Applicant". These
follow a similar naming convention as the Program and Process which adds
consistency and hopefully clarity.

*  In-kind services - have we agreed on this term for any non-financial support
offered?

K.Papac>> I understand the issue others on the WG have with this term and
support the term Non-Financial Support.

*  Developing economies - we still use, countries, nations, etc....

K.Papac>> I agree with Developing Economies

*  Support Eligibility criteria - how about this instead of 'qualification
criteria'?

K.Papac>> I agree with Support Eligibility Criteria

* Support and relief - will we use these terms in combination? Should add to
glossary.

K.Papac>> I prefer to use Support only. To me (and Webster.com) the word
'support' refers to help and/or assistance, whereas relief is the removal or
lightening of something oppressive, painful, or distressing. Essentially, I
prefer the more positive term of 'support'.

*  Support Application Review Panel (SARP) - is this final?

K.Papac>> I agree with Support Application Review Panel

We will have a 5-minute period allotted on the call tomorrow for your final
advice and consent.

Best,

Carlton Samuels & Rafik Danmark

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799
Strategy, Planning, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround