ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-newgtldapsup-wg]

Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Government eligibility for JAS support

  • To: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-newgtldapsup-wg] Government eligibility for JAS support
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 18:51:03 +0000

On 21 Nov 2011, at 18:12, Alan Greenberg wrote:

> True, public funding is fungable, but so is pretty much any money. Large
> corporations pay their executives huge bonuses and claim poverty. Charities
> ask for money to help kids in need, and spend most of their money of staff
> and fundraising. It is all judgement calls, and I don't think that the
> situation is particualrly worse for public bodies.
>
> As I said earlier, I am not a particularly strong advocate of allowing
> non-national governments to participate, but I don't have really good
> arguments to disallow them either, other than some governments have
> sufficient discretionary funds to not need the support.

Well the one I would have is that there are only finite resources going to be
available for anything. If semi-state body X or regional government Y is
getting funds then there's less to go around ..

> Regarding gov't agencies that lost public funding, As far as I am concerned,
> it is the gov't that they belong to that we would be judging, not the agency,
> they would not be eligible if their parent gov't was not eligible.

By that logic then (and it's good logic) then any government body would not be
eligible ..

Regards

Michele

> Alan