ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-cat]

[stld-rfp-cat] Catalan people supports .CAT

  • To: stld-rfp-cat@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [stld-rfp-cat] Catalan people supports .CAT
  • From: Pep Rovira <peprovira@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 10:28:09 +0200 (CEST)
  • Sender: owner-stld-rfp-cat@xxxxxxxxx

The Catalan language is the 7th in number of speakers
in Europe.

The Catalan community (12 million people, 70.000
square kms) is divided up into 4 European states
(Andorra, France, Italy and Spain). Logically, this
community is not nor she feels represented by the
".es" as they say the Spanish.

Most of the European languages have behind a state
that protects them, the Catalan has two states against
it (Spain and France).

The permanence of the Catalan community as such after
300 years of submission to a hostile country (Spain)
and 350 of submission to France is a surprising fact
in itself.

There is infinity of reasons for those that we, the
Catalans, want, we need the ".cat"... perhaps the main
one is that the one who is not in Internet "does not
exist", and the Catalans, at present, officially not
we are in Internet. Our community needs to see its
virtual existence with the ".cat" recognized.

Some related links:
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Catalan-language
http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=cln
http://www.eurominority.org/version/fr/fiche.asp?id_minorites=es-cata