ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

.xxx is a bad idea

  • To: xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .xxx is a bad idea
  • From: Webmaster <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 10:26:21 -0500

I really do not care, one way or the other, if the .xxx TLD gets approved, except for one important and realistic fear. Everyone in the adult entertainment industry has to worry that their government, particularly the US, will pass a law requiring us to operate exclusively on .xxx domains. By approving the .xxx TLD, ICANN will enable governments to pass these damaging laws.

I have spent a great deal of time and money to brand my .com properties. If the US government passes a law requiring me to publish on .xxx domains I, and everyone in the US adult industry, will suffer significant financial harm.

It is unlikely that all governments will pass a law requiring the use of .xxx. Thus, businesses operating in countries that allow .com operations would have a distinct and unfair advantage over those operating in countries that mandate the use of .xxx.

I strongly encourage ICANN reject the proposed .xxx TLD in favor of the .kids TLD.

Thank you for your consideration of my comments,

--
Dr Bill