Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: moulden
Date/Time: Sat, June 17, 2000 at 9:17 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Pre-registered .web domains

A few new good gTLD's would help matters greatly. Speaking personally, my future hopes of ecommerce success are vested in a wonderful .web domain that I pre-registered recently.

I stand no chance of either registering such a perfect business domain in .com or .net. With perhaps 4 or 5 new gTLD's - all 3 letters(?), certainly all broadly applicable, more people stand a chance of success. I would of course hope that if .web is selected as one of the first batch of new gTLDs (as logic dictates) IODesign's database of pre-registered domains would stand; I have no doubt that if this database was emptied, professional speculators with server farms would quickly snap up almost every .web domain so far registered and deprive thousands of people of their future hopes of operating a successful website.

That speculators are among the registrants to date is to my mind incidental - the namespace will still be opened up considerably. Anyone who has registered a trademark could be ejected according to the same procedure as for other TLD's under ICANN authority.

That said, there is no reason, per se, why IOD should be the only or even a registrar of .web after entry into the root server. In that respect, Mike Roberts is completely right when he stresses the importance of prospective registrars' business plans. The .web database is a different issue altogether.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy