Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: WorldThoughts
Date/Time: Sun, June 18, 2000 at 12:30 AM GMT
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Private TLD?

<< If the preregistered .web names are to stand and the people who have them get preference, this will encourage others to set up "private" TLDs for the next round. This will not be good. Sorry for those who already registered. >>

IOD is not a private TLD. It was quite public. Anyone who stumbled across their site was free to register .web domains.

I think you mean "pioneer" TLDs, though I am not sure how many registries can rightfully be called "pioneers" once the landscape is filled with them.

I keep going back to my analogy: you don't want registrations to stand, even though a registration can legally be seen as a contract?? I hope you are not a businessman who defaults on your legally-binding agreements. If you are, you must be sued a lot.

Assume your car is a Saturn, and you paid the dealer in full for it. Can you imagine getting a letter from the dealer telling you that they have RESOLD your car to another buyer, and that you have to immediately turn it over to him?

Think about this. Think long and hard, and put aside your own desire to claim already registered .webs. Perhaps this is not a part of your motivation, and perhaps it is. Understand firstly, I am not sure--and I am not accusing you of anything. Understand secondly, that I am also talking to those who read this post, who themselves might be so motivated.

I have already stated that I DO have a personal stake in pending decisions. However, I have faith in my ability to be objective, and I maintain that if IOD's registrants are abandoned, that the legal ramifications will be profound.

(And yes, there are ethical ramifications, in my book.)

Fraud, for one thing, if the decision were to come from IOD. And you know what.... I would still call it fraud if the decision came from ICANN--and ICANN would be the guilty party. When they were formed, there were certain decisions and rulings established by IANA that were naturally passed on to ICANN. ICANN inherited IOD's registrants, because IANA authorized them.

Again, I believe that Network Solutions had registrants that were grandfathered into the Internet root when Network Solutions was finally approved. Anything less for IOD and its registrants, is indecent. If this whole issue of pre-approval registration is such a problem for ICANN and the Internet community, then by all means they should do away with this practice in the future.

WHEN AUTHORIZATION IS GIVEN TO A RESPECTIVE REGISTRY BY THE PRESIDING INTERNET AGENCY (IANA, ICANN, whatever might come) to begin accepting registrations, then the registrations should stand. Anything else is a grandiose lie and a mockery of the process.

Is this such an alien principle to so many people?

Personally, if ICANN were to reneg on a standing ruling, I would fear for domain owners everywhere--in all extensions.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy