Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: friedrich
Date/Time: Sun, June 25, 2000 at 9:19 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: Very true

You are absolutely right.
The problem has been discussed in the last forum at length already and probably even a long time before that. If you are interested in my (this years) letter to ICANN concerning trademark law, etc., please let me know.

I think that in cctlds you can just use the regular trademark law. But it would certainly be a good solution to create new cctlds by adding .reg to the existing cctlds: mybusiness.reg.us or mybusiness.us.reg and reserve the new gtld .reg for international businesses.

We also might introduce us.1 - us.42 to handle the problem or, as I proposed much earlier, create a gtld .1 (one) just for internationally known trademarks.

To deal with the problem of many different classes within the trademark system I basically recommend to use the well-known first-come-first-serve system again. if you are no longer the first one to register, you have to add your class e.g. mybusiness.reg22.us or (easier) mybusiness22.reg (international).

I think that's essentially what Garry Anderson and me keep proposing for quite some time.

All other gtlds should be free from trademark laws.
There are so many possible solutions that I cannot understand,
why we are talking about new gtlds and not about solving the trademark problem. At least both subjects should be solved at the same time.

In my opinion ICANN has to choose one of the discussed solutions immediately, otherwise trademark conflicts will increase. Let me tell you, why: If I take a name which has already been trademarked in the U.S. and is not internationally known (most trademarks are not) and I go to Tuvalu, register it as a trademark there and register the .tv address, I am quite confident to be able to keep that trademark.

Can you imagine the reaction, if I start my internet business and advertising? The U.S. company will certainly state that I broke trademark laws. But I didn't. Only that some U.S. judges may think that in the Internet the law must be applied differently, because you can reach anybody on this world. So what?

If ICANN introduces one of the solutions given above, I would just be able to register .tv (if I am quick) without trademark protction or .tv.reg with trademark protection for Tuvalu.
The U.S. company would be able to register .us (if they are quick) without trademark protetion or .us.reg with trademark protection for the U.S. - or .us.reg42, if they are late and have to add the class they registered to their trademark.

But no quarrel could arise and the Internet would not become a battlefield. That's what ICANN's first concern must be.

Thank you for your attention!

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy