Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Garry Anderson
Date/Time: Wed, June 28, 2000 at 12:37 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Protecting Children

Apologies - looking at my replies, I was somewhat curt. I have had a few bad days just lately. Sorry David.

Like most people on this newsgroup, I want what is best for the people and the Internet. Not just what's best for big business - the way it is going.

My first reply:
Why have seperate TLD for this?
Unless you think the Internet should be like a childrens library.
Which is what some Governments are trying to make it.

This is basically about my worries that anything the authorities disagree with, they will push into a hole. Anything politically or morally or otherwise unsuitable. In a word, Censorship. I wish to control of my own mind, not have somebody do it for me. We all have a brain, let us use it.

My viewpoint is this - you have a right to say what you want, where you want. Once you reliquish control of that, it weakens your rights. Anything illegal (racial and libel etc.), there are laws in place already.

My second reply:
Your reasoning is flawed.

This was based on fact I thought you wished to be mandatory. Now that I know it is not - IT IS A GOOD IDEA.

Below is why I thought that it was flawed:
1. For the above Censorship reason.
2. You could not force sex sites to use.
3. Were is the line drawn topless, artistic nude.
4. It will mean censorship of ALL Internet content.
5. There is a better solution.

> It sounds like a NetNanny approach which would require a lot of effort to maintain on an ongoing basis.

IMHO netnanny types only do half a decent job. Which is why I recommended International co-operation is required. Also with bots and a central contact for people to help report misdemeaners on this seperate database.

> Plus, you'd run into problems with people disagreeing over whether a site should be accessible to kids or not.

Which is why I suggest first being very strict and then getting agreement later.

My protest site is link below - it has nothing to do with WIPO.org

Link: http://www.WIPO.org.uk

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy