Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jrosenthal
Date/Time: Mon, July 3, 2000 at 1:03 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: CORE Preregistrations

I do not support preregistrations of any sort due to the fact that preregistrations completely go against the purpose of releasing new gTLDs. It seems pointless to me to release a new gTLD when a substantial number of domains will be unavailable due to the fact that they have been preregistered.

However, I am interested in seeing some discussion about CORE (http://www.corenic.org). As you may or may not be aware of, they have been accepting preregistrations for .web, .shop, .firm, .arts, .nom, .rec and .info for several years now.

The interesting thing about the CORE preregistration system is the way it is set up. There are about 90 CORE registrars (a fairly large number have been accepting preregistrations). Under the CORE system, preregistrations would be added to the registry in a roundrobin fashion (sort of like a draft). The advantage to this system is that it will make it very difficult for John Doe to get ownership of all the "good" one word .web domains. Thus, a more equal (and fair) distribution of domains.

Of course, I suspect most people here will totally dismiss the CORE system because they have preregistered their .web domains through IOD, but humor me. Why support IOD preregistrations and not CORE preregistrations?

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy