Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: WorldThoughts
Date/Time: Wed, July 5, 2000 at 4:53 AM GMT
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Quite the contrary

<<  I do not support preregistrations of any sort due to the fact that preregistrations completely go against the purpose of releasing new gTLDs. It seems pointless to me to release a new gTLD when a substantial number of domains will be unavailable due to the fact that they have been preregistered.  >>>

Goes against the purpose of releasing new gTLDs??

I thought the new gTLDs were being introduced to give strong domains to people who don't have strong domains in .com, so that competition can exist. The fact that many folks already have the domains in their possession, does not detract from this objective. Seems to me that with the thousands of .web registrants, the objective is being ACHIEVED.

You see, you are portraying the IOD's database as an assortment of OLD registrants that are clogging the system. WRONG. They are all relatively new players in the Internet community; they have merely been waiting at the starting gate for quite some time. And many--like myself--found IOD only recently.

There WOULD be a problem if the same people in .com had their respective .web counterparts. But I don't see that this is so.

.web registrants number in the thousands, I believe--and represent 70 different countries. And they have STILL scarcely scratched the surface of available good .web domains.

Again, your reasoning is a reversal of logic. The purpose of the gTLDs is not diminished the day IOD and its registrants are approved. Quite simply, IOD would have gotten a head start on FULFILLING the intent of the gTLD: there are thousands of new participants.

Your reasoning in your statement above is extremely superficial. By digging a little deeper, the truth comes out--resembling not at all the picture you illustrated.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy