Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: 410
Date/Time: Tue, July 4, 2000 at 1:36 PM GMT (Tue, July 4, 2000 at 8:36 AM EST)
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Reply

<<<  ICANN are not doing their job properly, their priorities are wrong. >>>>

Garry,

I appreciate the support in your post. However, I disagree with the above quote insofar as this board is concerned.

ICANN set this board up so we can come here, tell them our thoughts, discuss things amongst ourselves, and bring all our concerns and opinions to the table.

I don't think this board was ever intended as a forum in which we DIALOGUE with ICANN. There are too many ICANN members, too many varied opinions WITHIN ICANN regarding policy,  for a single voice from ICANN to step forward. And there is no room in this message area for multiple members to step forward.

Personally, I think that their site contains all the necessary information--which IS their input; and the board is a forum in which we get to reply to that information.

And ICANN's reply to US is the conference in which they discuss policy, hopefully having heeded some of the comments on this board--though I think there is a dearth of substantative POLICY talk going on here.

In the end, this board is little more than a dog and pony show--an insincere gesture from ICANN.

Remember: though we have a voice here, we do not get to decide upon--or even vote for--the various policies that are coming.

Let's face it. We are all rattling our sabres, trumpeting our horns, raising our fists, holding our signs, doing our respective song and dance, for nothing. At least insofar as I believe.

Who here doesn't think that at this point ICANN knows PRECISELY what it will be doing in the months to come--making this message area little more than a Public Relations and Community Outreach campaign on ICANN's part?

Let's check our delusions of grandeur at the door. ICANN doesn't want it to be said that they aren't listening to the World, and consequently they have given us this message area. But it doesn't NEED us here, and I doubt they will be listening to us here.

However, let's face it. It isn't realistic to ask that we vote on EVERYTHING that comes along--including what new gTLDs there will be, who the registries will be, what each policy will be, etc. There are too few people in this world actually IN this sphere of Internet ongoings; and we simply DON'T know all the issues--everything from technology to law.

Why do you think governments of representation exist? We elect people who will make all the individual decisions on our behalf to the best of their ability, given fairness and very real life issues.

More immediate though: don't expect ICANN to begin conversing with us on this board. It is not the purpose of this board. If they WERE to come here, the most we should ask for is a representative to provide the FACTS that exist--the history of the players, the technological constraints that will govern the introduction of new gTLDs, the letter of the law that everyone is bound by, etc. And that would assist us in our analysis and debate. (For it serves nothing when we flounder in the dark for facts and make facts up in the absence of documentation.)

But to begin ARGUING with ICANN members in this forum the way we are arguing amongst ourselves?? I hardly doubt that would do ANY good.

Rebeka, how SPECIFICALLY do you think ICANN members should be contributing to this board? In my opinion, you have embarrassed yourself with your tirades, but have said precious little.

HOW do you want ICANN to function here? In your reply, I want you to postulate what the pitfalls would be, and how they might be remedied. If you are going to rant and stomp your feet over the current state of things, I want you to provide a MEANINGFUL alternate model.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy