Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Garry Anderson
Date/Time: Tue, July 4, 2000 at 2:49 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: ICANN - Public Relations Exercise.

>ICANN set this board up so we can come here, tell them our thoughts, discuss things amongst ourselves, and bring all our concerns and opinions to the table.

They *HAD TO* set this board up - because it would be even MORE obvious they have been failing in their duties, if they had not.

>I don't think this board was ever intended as a forum in which we DIALOGUE with ICANN.

I know that - it is obvious to me where there loyalties lie.

>hopefully having heeded some of the comments on this board

As we all do - though if they were not so concerned with  BIG BUSINESS interests, they could have resolved the unlawfulness of trademark issue a lot quicker.

>an insincere gesture from ICANN

Spot on.

>we do not get to decide upon--or even vote for--the various policies that are coming. We are all rattling our sabres.....

Agree it is currently a dictatorship, not a democracy.

>Who here doesn't think that at this point ICANN knows PRECISELY what it will be doing in the months to come--making this message area little more than a Public Relations and Community Outreach campaign on ICANN's part?

I was beginning to think it was just me!

>Let's check our delusions of grandeur at the door.

Personally, I just want to make it very clear, it is known ICANN have the answer to TM problem. My postings are to also ensure that everyone here knows it can be solved.

>It isn't realistic to ask that we vote on EVERYTHING that comes along--including what new gTLDs there will be, who the registries will be, what each policy will be, etc.

The base policies could very easily be voted upon.

>Why do you think governments of representation exist? We elect people..

We didn't elect this bunch of wasters. I would like to see the 'election pledges' of those wishing to go on the board, at one central point.

>don't expect ICANN to begin conversing with us on this board.

I never did - hence posting agreeing with you, to Rebeka.

>If they WERE to come here, the most we should ask for....

A two way dialogue with the GODs would be too much to hope for.

>arguing amongst ourselves?? I hardly doubt that would do ANY good.

Meaningful debate is always good - however I agree slagging someone off, without reasoned justification, is bad.

Your question to Rebeka 'how SPECIFICALLY do you think ICANN members should be contributing to this board?'

I took it she is frustrated, as I am, at their lack of dialogue with us.

As to related question to her "HOW do you want ICANN to function here?"

If I may answer that - I should like to see a seperate Q & A board - to answer some of the questions you pose above. Every member of ICANN could take turns each day. After all, they seem to be doing little else ;-)

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy