Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Sotiris
Date/Time: Thu, July 6, 2000 at 5:28 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: MY PERSONAL OPINION.

This is something that ICANN has no place in resolving REALLY.  However, perhaps what could be discussed is the formation of an ICANN membership group which consults with national registries and legislative bodies on these and related matters.  My personal opinion in the matter of CORINTHIANS.COM is that the soccer team's claim is a little late in coming and should not be upheld- truth is, they had a fair shot at it.  I'm assuming the team's been around for more than two years.  I am of the personal opinion that the present registrant's claim should be respected in that he actually had the technical knowledge to acquire the domain two years ago and to subsequently develop it as he saw fit.  Prior to his registration, the address did not exist in the technics or semantics of the COM domain.  I would even go so far as to say that perhaps there has been a "smear campaign" if you will, directed against some people (everyday people and not big corporations), who had the foresight, vision, and technical knowledge to create a domain namespace.  Not everybody can do this, not everybody wants to either. It seems that terms like "cybersquatters" are loaded and in many cases, misrepresent what would otherwise be classed as hard-working people who spent their well-earned money wisely.  In any case, the entire case with the Brazilian soccer club is really silly when you consider that corinthiansoccer.com and corinthiansoccerclub.com are both available(and only *God* knows how many other permutations...)
;-)By the way, I'm just curious, how is CORINTHIANS spelled in Portuguese anyway?  And what about my claim to the domain, it is after all a Greek word!  I think I'll add my own claim to the name.  Shouldn't I have a say in the matter?!?   :-0

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy