Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: WorldThoughts
Date/Time: Fri, July 7, 2000 at 9:36 PM GMT
Browser: AOL Browser V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Insane Arbiters at WIPO

You know, the WIPO arbiters (and others making decisions regarding domains) make absolutely no freaking sense.

I am SURE that another company is called "Corinthians," but does that give THEM the right to Corinthians.com too? And a third company, and a forth company?

What the heck is the matter with these arbiters? Are they fullfilling the demands or unfair needs of some special interest group?

Will all the world be held hostage by domain arbiters who might be retired trademark lawyers and judges, but who know NOTHING about the Internet, or common sense.

Even within the realm of the trademark specialty, their rulings make NO SENSE. GENERICS should be treated as generics, for crying out loud. WIPO, get a damned grip already.

WIPO, consider all the languages of the world. Consider all the words that exist in all of the languages, collectively. Consider the multiple TLDs that will exist some day.

. . . Your rulings would create chaos. Your rulings would kill the little guy. Your rulings would destroy businesses that people are starting up. No doubt SOME of these people leave behind other jobs to be self-sufficient in the Internet medium, building recognition on a particular GENERIC address.

And you come along, thinking yourself gods, and level the axe on their heads, arbitrarily it seems.

And for what? For a company that happens to have the domain word in their name--or even AS their name IN FULL.

Again, rest assured there is a Corinthians Deli, a Corinthians Bookstore, a Corinthians Auto Dealer (etc, etc) in this world.

Why should this Corinthians team get Corinthians.com over these other businesses? Why should they get this GENERIC domain over the domain owner you snatched it from?

Again, WIPO, you are out of line, and I detest what you are doing to people's lives.

I hope the insanity that guides your rulings is one day countered by karma and equity--and you are some day thrown from that pretentious, lofty, ivory tower--and into a prickly, thorny bush.

You deserve no better for your draconian rulings.   

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy