Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: friedrich
Date/Time: Thu, July 6, 2000 at 2:19 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: Corinthians.com

The soccer club Corinthians has to register his name under the cctld ".br" or ".com.br", if it "missed" .com.

Their claim on "corinthians.com" is absolutely invalid, even if in Brazil a "Pele" law exists ...

Why should there be any such right in the rest of the world?
Why do they absolutely need a .com name?
Why don't they just pay so much money that the name is sold to them?

Trademark law is developing into the wrong direction and I am glad (even though I am holding several international trademarks myself) that this issue finally receives the due attention of this forum.

Not all lawyers are bad lawyers and not all trademark holders are bad trademark holders, but some are and you should definitely not change the laws according to their desire.

If we loose the specific protections of trademarks by just protecting the most influential company or the most "dangerous" lawyer, if we prohibit the continued use of one's own, personal name, if we prohibit the use of generic names, because there exists some commercional value somewhere in this world and somebody claims owning it without restrictions, then we should no longer point with our fingers towards totalitary governments - because we will have turned the whole world into one.

Regards,
Friedrich

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy