Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Publius
Date/Time: Tue, July 11, 2000 at 5:24 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 95
Score: 5
Subject: "Trademark squatting"

I am sure that what Freidrich is refering to is the practice of legitimate trademark owners to sue anyone who has registered a domain which even reminds someone of their trademark.  For example, there was a "vw.net" (or maybe it was .com) registrant who had a legitimate property interest in a domain which represented his ISP, (I think it was "Virtual World"), which he had owned long before VolksWagon showed up on the Internet, but nevertheless he lost in court.  (Notice the irony that a network provider could even lose a .net domain to an business which doesn't even provide network access.  IMO, this weakening of a previously restricted TLD just serves to show how desperately new restricted purpose TLD's are needed.) 

Similarly, Verizon is suing 2600 because it registered "VerizonReallySucks.com", which should be protected speech, and is certainly not likely to cause commercial confusion in terms of trademark law, as nobody would really believe that 2600 is a competitor of Verizon, or that one would choose such a name to hawk a competiting product.

Just my two cents.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy