Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Andrew McLaughlin
Date/Time: Mon, June 5, 2000 at 3:49 AM GMT (Sun, June 4, 2000 at 11:49 PM EDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Some questions

>ISSUES:
>1) The time table for nominations, campaigning and
>election is exceptionally compressed.

Why?  The self-nominations phase and campaign phases will each have a month.  The voting will have over a week (perhaps 10 days).  Why is that "exceptionally compressed"?  Assuming that the At Large members read their email, they will received a number of reminders to check out the candidates, read their webpages, and vote.  A month seems like plenty of time to me.

>2) The restriction on supporting only one
>nomination (Rule 6) is patently ridiculous
>and totally undemocratic.

Why?  Given that only one candidate will be elected per region, why should each member in that region not be limited to supporting the one candidate she likes best?  I don't see anything undemocratic about that.  Because votes will be secret, she can always choose a different candidate later, if she wants.

>3) There is a distinct “incumbent” advantage built into
>the rules for NOMCOM candidates (a “sun-rise” period, as
>it were…).

I don't see it.  The campaign period will not start until the final ballot has been determined.  All candidates will be treated equally in their ability to post a web page, etc., for equal periods of time.

>4) The 10% rule is vague (10% as of which date?) and,
>as it is based on total *eligible* voters, could potentially
>be a bar to any and all candidates in a low turn out region.
>This is particularly problematic in combination with the
>restriction on nominations mentioned in 2) above.

I agree about the vagueness point -- the rules will have to specify what's meant.  As I conceive of it, the 10% threshold would apply to the number of activated membership as of the end of the self-nomination period.  (I.e., the number of people who have applied, received their PIN numbers, and activated their memberships).

>5) The term “self nomination” itself is prejudicial.

I just don't agree with this.  The Board originally used the term "petition process," but we were informed that in some countries "petition" has a pejorative meaning - reflecting some kind of abject plea to a sovereign.  So we picked the term having the most obviously self-descriptive meaning.

>2) Requiring individuals to determine who they
>will support in an election before the nomination
>list is final, and before campaigns have even been
>started, is among the stranger manifestations of
>“democracy” ever offered. There are immense problems
>with this proposal. Will members be allowed to “revoke”
>their endorsements?

I think you must misunderstand the proposal.  Members are being asked to decide if they want to support a candidate for inclusion on the final ballot.  After that, a member can vote for any candidate on the ballot (secretly and securely, we hope).

But yes, I think members should be able to switch support from one candidate for nomination to another.  The proposed rules call for a 2-week period in which candidates for nomination can step forward, and a following 2-week period in which members can review and evaluate the candidates and make a decision.

>3) Candidates tapped by the NOMCOM under the current
>proposal would have almost twice the campaigning time
>as other candidates.

Maybe I'm missing something, I just don't see this.  Campaigning will happen via the ICANN website, and all candidates will have equal access to it, for equal periods of time.  I think that equal access to info on the part of members will cancel any possible advantage for NomCom nominees.

>5) The comments here in this forum and
>elsewhere display two main responses to the
>prejudicial nature of the “self nominated”
>designation. The first: replace it with a
>more neutral term, such as “Member Nominated”.
>The second: remove the distinction entirely
>by concealing the nature of NONCOM tapped candidates.

>In the main, the members and ICANN will be
>best served by member’s retaining the knowledge
>of  who has been tapped by NOMCOM, but treating them
>in all other ways identically with “Member Nominated”
>or other appropriate designation) candidates.

Though I disagree about "self-nominated" being prejudicial (it's just plain accurate, in my view), I agree with your basic premise.  I think the final ballot ought to list all candidates equally.

>In their present form, the Proposed Rules
>for Self-Nomination present many challenges to
>these specifications and goals. It is apparent that
>many of the problematic sections mentioned in 1)
>through 5), above,  were designed to ensure that
>only “competent” and “non-disruptive” persons are
>presented as viable candidates, at the expense of
>these goals and specifications.

The rules were written (by me, mostly) to foster an open and transparent election process that is orderly and oriented toward candidates with broad support in their regional Internet communities.  The goal is to get excellent Directors that reflect the views of (and are accountable to) the At Large members.  I plead guilty to the charge that I hope to see only candidates that are "competent."  After all, ICANN is not a government - it is a technical coordinating body with a mission to preserve the stable operation (and evolution) of the Internet's name and number systems.

>If there are such deeply held suspicions concerning
>the ability of the At Large members to select
>qualified candidates, then the purpose, role 
>(and existence) of the At Large members should
>be re-evaluated.

I suspect that what you take to be mistrust in the At Large members is instead a fear that a small electorate is prone to efforts at capture by small but well-organized special interest groups.  The rules are intended to promote the idea of candidate that attract wide support, across national, cultural, and economic interests.

>Considering that the At Large membership will
>eventually elect almost 1/2 of the seats in the
>controlling body of one of  one of the worlds most
>important international resources (there is more
>truth to that than any of us can yet know), this
>process requires a demonstrably fair election.

I certainly agree that ICANN wants a demonstrably fair election, but your basic premise is quite mistaken.  ICANN is not a "controlling body" for the Internet.  There is *no* "controlling body" for the Internet - neither governments, nor ICANN, nor any other entity can be said to "control" the Internet.  ICANN is a technical coordinating body charged with the task of ensuring that the DNS and IP address systems continue to do what they're supposed to do:  make available unique identifiers and parameters that allow packet traffic to be properly routed.  There are obviously some controversial and important issues contained within that technical coordination task, but it's way off base to call ICANN a "controlling body" for the Internet.

Thanks for the thoughtful comments!

Andrew McLaughlin
ICANN

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy