Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: smithco
Date/Time: Wed, June 28, 2000 at 12:18 AM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.7 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: I disagree with Andrew McLaughlin's response to point (2)

In response to the complaint...

>2) The restriction on supporting only one
>nomination (Rule 6) is patently ridiculous
>and totally undemocratic.

Andrew McLaughlin said...

Why?  Given that only one candidate will be elected per region, why should each member in that region not be limited to supporting the one candidate she likes best?  I don't see anything undemocratic about that.  Because votes will be secret, she can always choose a different candidate later, if she wants.

McLaughlin misses the point.  It is not about votes being secret, it is about the difference between a nomination and an election.  There are several reasons why a sensible voter might want to support multiple nominees.

1. They are interested in what they have heard about several potential candidates - but don't know enough yet to prefer one.  Therefore they nominate all of those on their shortlist and let them all present their cases during the campaigning period before making a well-informed choice.

2.  They are aware that in a democratic system their first choice may not be everybody else's first choice.  Therefore they nominate other 'second best' choices, so that during the election at least some of their preferences might be represented.  This kind of 'compromise-allowing' feature is crucial in any kind of election such as this because it allows a large electorate (ICANN @ large) to aggregate their preferences around a small, workable representative body (the council). 

3.  They are aware that their first choice may unexpectedly be 'disqualified' from the election after nomination because of illness, misbehaviour, changing their mind or whatever.  Therefore they nominate one or two others so that when the election comes they will have at least one candidate that interests them.

Could I suggest that before ICANN drafters start making claims about what is 'democratic' and 'undemocratic' that they look at some democratic theory, and practical examples of democratic systems, rather than just using a 'seems good to me so that'll do' approach?

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy