Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: dltallan
Date/Time: Tue, June 20, 2000 at 1:35 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.72 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: Nomination process and campaigning

Andrew Mclaughlin wrote:
"Why?  Given that only one candidate will be elected per region, why should each member in that region not be limited to supporting the one candidate she likes best?"

and later in the same post wrote

"The campaign period will not start until the final ballot has been determined."

I respectfully suggest that requiring members to decide "the one candidate she likes best" before the campaign period begins is inconsistent with the members' ability to make an effective informed choice.

I recommend that those determining the nomination and election processes should decide at what point the members are being asked to select their preferred candidate and stick to it, ensuring that members get the maximum information possible consistent with the preservation of the members' right to privacy.

The fact that the initial decision of which of the [self-nominated or member nominated] candidates they like best is subject to later revision (during the final voting process) does not negate the potentially tremendous effect of that decision, which can put candidates on to or take them off of the final ballot. There is a reason that Americans pay so much attention to their Primaries, even though they are only selecting candidates for the ballot rather than voting on them.

Given the importance of this decision, I respectfully suggest that, in addition to great information availability to support the decision, the time available for the decision should be increased. A two week window in August, when many people are on vacation (many vacations lasting longer than two weeks- reducing or eliminating their access to the nominating process for the duration) is insufficient for a process that wishes to maintain the appearance of being open, accessible and fair, especially when a high support percentage of the theoretically available members (as opposed to the actually available members- those not on vacation, reading their emails and visiting the ICANN Web site) is required to make the ballot.

Given the above considerations, I would like to join the others who hae posted here in recommending to the ICANN administration that they:

1. Remove the limit enabling At Large Members to only support one self-nominated candidate in his/her attempt to become a member-nominated candidate. This would eliminate the requirement that members make a decision uninformed by the campaign process.

2. Given the impracticality of changing the season of the nomination process, extend the time alotted to create the maximum opportunity for those members who have vacatiosn scheduled for August to participate. If this is not deemed possible or reasonable, perhaps members should be given the opportunity to "opt out" of this process this time around if they know in advace that they will not be available during the candidate selection period, allowing the number of "active members" for this process to more closely reflect the number of available members. Alternatively or additionally, the percentage of active member support required to secure a place on the ballot should be substantially reduced.

I would also like to raise for consideration by the administration and by my fellow members reading this forum the possibility of permitting links from the official ICANN candidate pages to external pages maintained by the candidates themselves (or by others on their behalf. This would allow members access to greater amounts of information upon which to base an informed decision. We would have access to information not limited to answers to questions that the ICANN administrative staff choose to ask nor filtered by whatever process is involved in getting the candidate supplied information up on the ICANN site. This would allow candidates to directly address the membership without giving them any access at all to members' email addresses. On the other hand, those candidates with greater resources could perhaps build bigger, better and more persuasive Web sites. This would, to a certain extent, remove the "level playing field". Personally, I think the increased access to candidate-supplied material allowing me to make a more informed decision would make this sacrifice worthwhile. What do others think?

Respectfully,
David Tallan
Canada

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy