Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Andrew McLaughlin
Date/Time: Mon, June 5, 2000 at 5:20 AM GMT (Mon, June 5, 2000 at 1:20 AM EDT)
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: Response to CDT/Common Cause

Scott and Jerry:

Many thanks to CDT and Common Cause for (as always) a thoughtful set of comments!  On the merits, I find a lot to agree with here, and some helpful new ideas.  On some of the larger atmospheric points (which don't have a lot of practical consequence), I find myself in substantial disagreement with your premises.

>2. The underlying goal of this election
>– to provide representation to the Internet user
>community “at large” –  must be kept foremost in
>mind when setting the election procedures.  Many
>key constituency groups already have representation
>on the ICANN board through the “supporting organization”
>seats.  It is important that the structure and
>procedures for this election be dedicated to ensuring
>that it achieves its goal of providing a voice to the
>general Internet user community. 

As more fully elaborated below, I think that this statement reflects an erroneous conception.  The At Large membership and election processes are intended to ensure that the ICANN Board is reflective of and accountable to a general body of Internet users, not limited by any kind of segregation from the other branches of the ICANN tree. 

The ICANN structure is *not* designed to segregate some Internet users into the SOs, and others into the At Large membership.  Everyone who is involved in the ICANN process through the Supporting Organizations is an Internet user.  As you point out, of course, there are many other Internet users who are not involved in the SOs (though I hope more of them will get involved).  

The SOs are specialized advisory bodies.  Each is open to any interested individual.  In the case of the DNSO, an interested individual can join a constituency, or a working group, or participate in the general assembly.  In the case of the ASO, an interested individual can participate in the open policy forums (online or at periodic meetings) of one (or more) of the regional Internet registries.  In the case of the PSO, an interested individual can participate in the IETF or another standards development organization.  A really interested individual with lots of free time might decide to participate in all three SOs, and to be an At Large member as well.

In other words, there are no hard lines separating the At Large membership from the rest of the ICANN structure.  Ideally, all participants in the ICANN SOs will sign up to be At Large members, and many At Large members will choose to participate in the SOs.

This is an important point, because some of your comments appear to proceed from a mistaken starting point:  that the At Large membership is supposed to elect individuals whose views are somehow ideologically distinct or contrary to those of the directors currently on the Board.  The SO-selected Directors come from a wide diversity of backgrounds (academic, technical, business, etc.), and all of them are Internet users.  As Directors of ICANN, they are all obligated to support the corporation's basic mission:  to preserve the stable operation (and evolution) of the Internet's DNS and IP address systems.  (I.e., the parts of the Internet that require central coordination to ensure the assignment of unique values and parameters, such as domain names, IP address numbers, and protocol and port numbers).

Put another way, there is no rationally tenable distinction that can be drawn between those involved in the SOs and "Internet users."  The point of the At Large membership is to allow a large group of interested individuals to choose Directors on a regional basis.  The result should reflect a degree of representation and accountability.  Above all, we hope to see excellent Directors dedicated to advancing ICANN's basic mission of stability for the Internet.

>1.  SELF-NOMINATION SHOULD BEGIN EARLIER
>IN ORDER TO CREATE A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD
>FOR ALL CANDIDATES. 

This concern is well-stated, but seems misplaced to me.  I think it greatly exaggerates any potential advantages for the NomCom nominees.  Given that the process will rely on web-based campaigning through the ICANN website, all candidates will begin to campaign on the same day.  Indeed, during the self-nomination process, the candidates for self-nomination will have all the focus.  Any advantage to the NomCom nominees from being announced early will be more than offset by the exclusive attention paid to self-nomination candidates during the month of the self-nomination phase.

>2.  IN SELECTING NOMINEES, THE NOMINATIONS
>COMMITTEE SHOULD TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE SPECIAL
>ROLE OF THE AT-LARGE MEMBERSHIP. For the reasons
>stated above, we strongly urge the Nominations
>Committee to select as nominees individuals who
>not only have the interest and energy to fulfill
>the duties of a board member, but also those who
>can best serve the role of At-Large board members. 
>As we have noted above, the other major defined
>Internet constituency groups already have
>representation built into the structure of the
>board through the supporting organizations.  The
>point of these At-Large seats is to represent the
>public, non-commercial user community.  It is
>imperative that this goal remain foremost in the
>mind of the Committee as it selects its nominees.

Here is where I find myself in strongest disagreement with you.  In my view, this recommendation proceeds from a seriously flawed understanding of the ICANN structure.

The ICANN Board is not a representative body, in the sense that it attempts to reflect in mathematically accurate proportions the specific special interest groups of the world's Internet communities.  The world's various Internet communities are far too diverse to ever be represented by 19 individuals.

Moreover, ICANN has a specific mission: to preserve the stability of the Internet's DNS and IP addressing systems, while privatizing and internationalizing the related policymaking functions.  ICANN is not a government, nor is it a democracy.  It's a technical coordinating body with a specific, limited mandate;  as such, it seeks excellent Directors that together broadly reflect the functional and geographic diversity of the global Internet community.  Taken together, the At Large membership and the Supporting Organizations (each of which is structured differently, with different areas of Internet expertise in mind) provide a broadly distributed mechanism for selecting Directors.  No one region can dominate;  likewise, no one special interest can dominate. 

The resulting directors should, of course, be independent from special interest ties and should come from diverse backgrounds and regions, have diverse views, and have a diverse set of experiences and communities to draw on.  Everyone involved with the Board is an "Internet user," to the degree that that term has any meaning.  However appealing it may be to portray the At Large Membership as a kind of ideological counterweight to the technical, academic, business, non-commercial and other communities that are involved in the Supporting Organizations, it's not accurate and it misses the point that everyone in this process is an Internet user with (we hope) an interest in the stable operation of the DNS and IP addressing systems.

More to the point, the At Large membership is not intended to be limited to "non-commercial" users.  In this context, "non-commercial" would be an incoherent and untenable limitation.  No one should be disqualified from membership or nomination simply because she works for a commercial enterprise.  Rather, we hope that all kinds of Internet users will be At Large members:  everyone from those who own small businesses to those who work for large companies;  teachers and students;  those who build Internet infrastructure and those who recently figured out how to post a web page. 

The distinction between "commercial" and "non-commercial" interests may make sense in the old industrial economy, but I have yet to be pursuaded that the distinction is meaningful for the Internet's technical coordination issues.  Indeed, a quick look at the SO-selected Directors shows that about half work directly in "non-commercial" settings, and most devote extensive time to non-commercial organizations besides ICANN.

The At Large membership should be an open vehicle for broad global representation and accountability, not for the special privileging of "commercial", "non-commercial", or any other interests.

>3.   THE NOMINATIONS COMMITTEE SHOULD BE REQUIRED
>TO SELECT SEVERAL CANDIDATES FOR EACH BOARD SEAT.

I agree with this.  You might want to send a note specifically to the NomCom (nominations@icann.org).

>4.  SELF-NOMINATION SHOULD BE MADE EASIER AND
>REQUIRE A LOWER THRESHOLD OF SUPPORT. 

In general, I'm persuaded that a lower threshold is a good idea.  I think the point about August being a big vacation month is a good one too, though I don't think much can be done about it.  The regions are of *very* different sizes (members-wise), so I favor the use of a fixed percentage, rather than absolute numbers.  I think 1-2% is too low.

>5.  MEMBERS SHOULD BE ABLE TO SUPPORT MORE THAN
>ONE CANDIDATE FOR SELF-NOMINATION.

This is a well-stated point, as usual.  But I'm not persuaded.  I think that the point of the self-nomination process is to allow candidates with appreciable support open access to the ballot.  Given that voters will (ultimately) be able to elect only candidate, it seems perfectly rational to me to limit them to support the one candidate they like best for nomination. 

>6.  ICANN MUST DO MORE TO ENSURE CANDIDATE
>ACCESS TO THE VOTING MEMBERSHIP.

These all seem like sensible ideas.  I'll pass them along to the Election Committee, which is responsible for making recommendations in these areas.

Andrew McLaughlin
ICANN

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy