Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: neomax
Date/Time: Mon, June 5, 2000 at 4:31 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: what is the membership deadline for participation in nominations/election?

Andrew McLaughlin wrote:

----------------------------------

>>>Given that the process will rely on web-based campaigning through the ICANN website, all candidates will begin to campaign on the same day.<<< 

I think you are wrong to make this assumption. I would also consider it a highly questionable move to limit, by the rules, any and all discussion of the issues involved in this election to the ICANN website alone.

As a practical matter, I do not believe such a prohibition will work. For instance, I expect to read about this election, candidates and the process in the general press.

Elections in general provide a means of clarifying issues.  A vote gains meaning because it is an endorsement of a particular view  and is a way of establishing, or at least influencing, the direction of the body.

As we move closer to the nomination and election process many millions of Internet users will be informed about this election. After all, it is the first International Internet Election ever.

These Internet users will be sorely disappointed to learn that the time it takes from initial registration until the receipt of one's ICANN PIN number and voting ability is an inordinately long 75 days. In one sense, this "business as usual" response will be taken as a snub of these users' interest in this body.

Practically speaking, if this turn-around time is representative, it will suggest that anyone registering for membership after about June 1 is precluded from participation in the self-nomination process that ends August 20. Those registering after July 1 may also be prevented from participation in the general election on September 20. 

This tells me that the voting membership, as a practical matter, was set as of the announcement of the rules.

Indeed, one of the elements missing from this entire election process is the concept of a membership/voter registration deadline for participation in the elections slated for September 20. These dates are typically an element of most elections. Voter registration within the rules as set forth is almost always an element of any election process. To not address that issue is a serious flaw in this process. 

I would ask that ICANN address this issue definitively.

My recommendation is that provisional membership regarding nominations be immediate and to those who register during the self-nomination phase and that registrations and that registrations made before the campaign cycle begins on August 21 be provided their final PIN number via regular post by election day.

I think that it would also be fair for all concerned that the membership enrollment be suspended beginning August 21 until the election is over.

G. Patton Hughes
Marietta, GA  USA

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy