Return to self-nomination Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: gburton
Date/Time: Mon, June 5, 2000 at 7:24 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.7 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: an UNofficial At Large site.

Andrew said:
>>>Given that the process will rely on web-based campaigning through the ICANN website, all candidates will begin to campaign on the same day.<<< 

G. Patton said:
>> I think you are wrong to make this assumption. I would also consider it a highly questionable move to limit, by the rules, any and all discussion of the issues involved in this election to the ICANN website alone.<<

You're quite correct that Andrew's assumption is wrong - I'm sure some interested parties have already begun "unofficial" "exploratory" campaigns, though I have no specific knowledge of any such.

I seriously doubt that ICANN will even attempt to limit discussions to the "official" website. That would be enormously self-defeating and futile, since the only sanction that could be applied would be to boot the at large members from membership. The pr and political results from any such attempt would be massively negative.

Personally, I believe that the more open discussion of issues, agendas, and personalities the better for eceryone. It's almost unbelievable that we have this fairly large membership, with no mechanisms in place for the members to get to know each other. While Andrew's questions about what candidates should be asked, etc., are sincere and a good step, our at-large member interactions don't need to be mediated by an already overburdened staff.

Candidates or prospective candidates should be able to ask their own questions of at large members, take their own polls, publish whatever manifestos they wish. Concerned members should be able to ask whatever they like, talk with each other, create our own informal groups - in short, act like a community instead of a mailing list.

No one else seems to have attempted a mechanism for that, so I put up a site - referenced at the link below. It's not massively secure, it's not completely integrated, it's not in any way official. If members of the at large community want to make use of it, they can. Anyone can create their own web page for their at large activities, and include any freely-available tools in it that they like. Mailing lists, forums , and general interest polls will be created upon request. If we run of of resources due to massive use (a fond dream) then we'll figure out a way to get more.

I won't pretend that I don't have my own agendas. What I promise is that my agenda in creating the site is to promote and develop the community, whether I agree with a point of view or not. If we can create considered discussion and community, ICANN will benefit, the At Large members will benefit, and the Internet as a whole will benefit.

Please register, and help start the process.

Sincerely,
Greg Burton
Cedar Crest, New Mexico, USA

Link: Decidedly Unofficial At Large Site

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy